Friday, July 5, 2013

Beef and Broccoli (Crockpot) - hold the broccoli

Beef and Broccoli (without the Broccoli) - made June 29, 2013 from Table for Two

Another simple crock pot recipe in line with my cooking skills.  And yes, I left out the broccoli so I guess I should just call this recipe "Beef".  This took about 6 hours in my slow cooker with half the time on the high setting and half the time on the low setting before I was satisfied that the beef strips were tender enough.  As always with crock pot cooking, the liquid is more soupy than I wanted so I had to be more generous with the cornstarch than the recipe called for.  It tasted pretty good and, more importantly, was easy enough to cook and is going to feed me for weeks.
 
1 lb boneless beef chuck roast, sliced into thin strips
1 cup beef consomme or beef broth
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons cornstarch (I used more than 4 tablespoons)
4 tablespoons sauce from the crockpot after beef has cooked
Frozen broccoli florets (as many as you want....or none :))
  1. In the insert of the crock pot, whisk together beef consomme or broth, soy sauce, dark brown sugar, sesame oil and garlic.
  2. Place your beef slices in the liquid and gently toss to coat.
  3. Cook beef on low for 6 hours or until tender.
  4. When done, in a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and sauce until smooth, pour into crockpot and mix well. Cook on low for an additional 30 minutes to thicken sauce.
  5. Toss in broccoli florets if using and cook until broccoli is warmed through.

No comments:

Post a Comment