Saturday, April 23, 2016

Coconut Bread

Coconut Bread - made March 19, 2016, modified from Ever After in the Woods
I'm a bit lukewarm on this recipe, although I love coconut and I did like this when it was - ha - lukewarm, the glaze was melting over it and the coconut inside the bread and on top of the glaze added both sweetness and chewiness. Then it had a nice texture and the glaze sweetened it up.

But when I had a taste test slice from the larger loaf I had made and it was at room temperature, it wasn't as good. It wasn't sweet enough for my particular taste buds and the texture was a bit too heavy and not chewy or cakey enough, even for a quick bread.
I don't know if I overbaked it or that's just how this particular coconut bread was supposed to be but I think I was looking for something more like a coconut pound cake and this wasn't it. If you make this, it's best eaten warm.
For the glaze, I simply added a little milk to some confectioners' sugar until I had the desired consistency and whisked it with a teaspoon of vanilla for flavor.
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole milk
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut flakes
  1. Spray 9 x 5" loaf pan with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a mixer, combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until just combined. Add vanilla extract.
  3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
  4. Add flour mixture and milk, alternating. Mix until just combined. Add coconut and pour batter into prepared pan.
  5. Bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment