Friday, January 6, 2017

NYC: Restaurant Review - Sam's Place

Sam's Place - lunch on November 17, 2016
I will also be reviewing the restaurants we went to in New York. Partly because my friend Shawn and I discovered we couldn't actually eat sugar 24 hours a day and needed some savory food to dilute the sweets. Who knew?

We both had  craving for Italian and lasagna sounded good to us so we went hunting for a good Italian restaurant in the neighborhood. As an aside, let me just say (again) it's my personal belief that you can't have anything bad to eat in NYC. If you do, it's your own fault. Really. Because you can always get recommendations from the locals or, failing that, there's always yelp.
We yelp'd our way to Sam's Place and it was exactly the kind of restaurant I like to patronize. It was small, perhaps less than a dozen tables fitted into a small space, and had friendly service, including someone who appeared to be the owner who stopped by our table to greet us.
A hunk of bread was placed for our enjoyment while we perused the menu. Despite the craving for lasagna, we both went with tortellini alfredo. Because the butter and sugar from the earlier cronuts needed some more butter and heavy cream to go with it, ha. Okay, it seemed like a good idea at the time and the dish itself was pretty good, albeit a bit rich and a little bland. The Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top helped give it some saltiness. But I have a low bar for pasta and I enjoyed the meal. I enjoyed eating at Sam's Place even more and thought they provided good, friendly service.

No comments:

Post a Comment