Sunday, February 5, 2017

Soft Toffee Cookies

Soft Toffee Cookies - made dough January 10, 2017, modified from Call Me PMC
First batch - baked until middles were no longer raw
I thought I would like these cookies. Unfortunately I didn't. They weren't bad, per se. Just not my kind of cookie. I didn't think it was even possible that I had a cookie type I didn't like. I mean, who knew? But if you're not me and you do like soft, sweet, cakey, toffee cookies, this might be for you.

Cakey insides
You know I don't like cakey cookies and that was the first strike against this one. I didn't overbake it but took it out just when the middles didn't look like raw dough anymore. You can't eat it warm (strike 2) or the toffee is just sticky and hard to eat. But even at room temperature the edges were cakey and the middle was just kinda goo.
Same dough, second sheet, baked 10 minutes, still raw in the middle 

That was the first batch. So I tried it again when I had to make a goodie bag for a friend I was meeting for lunch and baked off the rest of the dough balls. This time, I actually timed how long I baked these and only went for the recommended 9-10 minutes (it was 10 minutes) before I took the cookies out even though the middles didn't look done. They weren't but when cooled to room temperature, I thought that would work and the cookies wouldn't be cakey because they hadn't baked long enough to get cakey. That worked but it just meant the cookies were really soft. And a bit too sweet (strike 3). Maybe it was because I froze the dough first rather than baking right away so it did need longer to bake than the 9-10 minutes specified in the recipe? Probably.
4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup toffee bits
  1. Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla and egg; mix just to combine.
  2. Add flour, baking powder and salt; mix until just combined.
  3. Fold in toffee bits. Portion into golf-ball-size dough balls and chill or freeze for 30 minutes to an hour (minimum).
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly space chilled or frozen dough balls. Bake 9-10 minutes or until edges are set and middles are no longer raw. 

No comments:

Post a Comment