Monday, February 13, 2017

Sweet Potato Hash with Sausage and Eggs

Sweet Potato Hash with Sausage and Eggs - made January 17, 2017, modified from Delicious Meets Healthy
This is the kind of "real food" cooking I like to do. It's easy, it doesn't have too many ingredients and it's pretty healthy. With healthy being relative considering if you plugged a search for "chocolate chip cookies" on my blog, the results probably come back with more than 8 pages' worth of posts. And if you're of the camp that the nutrients of the sweet potato outweigh the affect on blood sugar levels, you might even consider it paleo-friendly if you're on the paleo way of eating.

I also consider this recipe pretty flexible in that, although it's meant to be a breakfast dish, it's good for any meal of the day. I modified it slightly from Delicious Meets Healthy, swapping out the original coconut oil for olive oil and adding a couple of the Penzey's spices I had on hand. I swear I'm not affiliated with Penzey's but I like their spices and love the company. I've been so bent on supporting them that I now have a drawerful of spices I need to use; hence my recent mania with cooking, almost more than baking.

The only drawback to this recipe is you really need to watch the baking once the eggs are cracked open on top. I was afraid of the yolks being runny so I think I kept the baking dish (I didn't have a cast iron skillet large enough) in the oven longer than I should have. Consequently, a film had baked over the eggs. While the yolks still looked undercooked, they actually weren't. In fact, they were as firm as if they'd been hardboiled, even if they didn't look it at first glance. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this dish - simple, hearty and (relatively) healthy.


1 pound bulk sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, chopped
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Rosemary, to taste
Roasted garlic, to taste, optional
  1. Preheat over to 425 degrees F.
  2. Brown onions and sausage in a cast iron skillet. Transfer to a plate.
  3. Reduce heat to medium high, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and sweet potatoes. Stir occasionally until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Cover skillet with a lid while cooking.
  4. Once sweet potatoes are tender, add sausage and onions to the cast iron skillet. and stir together.
  5. Crack four eggs over sweet potato hash. Place cast iron skillet in oven and cook 10-15 minutes until eggs are set.

No comments:

Post a Comment