Thursday, May 18, 2017

A Great Brownie (the original recipe title)

A Great Brownie - made April 15, 2017, modified from The Greyston Bakery Cookbook by Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan
This is one of those brownie recipes I’ve made before, thought it was really, really good and never made it again. Not because I didn’t like it because, looking at my old notes, it appears I did. But I always want to try a new recipe so I never went back to this one. I did this time because I first tried this recipe before I started my blog so technically, it counts as a new post I can put up and share with everyone.

Since it’s a plain brownie, you can safely assume I made this for my niece’s fundraiser for her mentor program. BTW, she ended up raising $1400 against her original $1000 goal and, as a bonus, even got at least one of her friends interested in signing up to be a mentor in the program. Score.

Anyway, another good, basic brownie recipe but there’s not much more I can say about it since there are many good, basic brownie recipes out there. It’s killing my soul not to dress it up. If you want to try an easy recipe for brownies, this is it.

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped, optional

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13" baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstcik cooking spray.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder and salt; set aside.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer set to medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the vanilla. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix. Stir in half the chocolate chunks, if using.
  4. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining chopped chocolate, if using, evenly over the top of the batter. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Remove from oven and let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment